Mobile Phone Policy
(Effective 3 February 2020)
As per Department of Education Student Mobile Phones in Public Schools Policy (3 February, 2020), mobile phones, electronic communication devices, headphones/ear buds are not permitted to be used on school grounds from the moment a student arrives onto school grounds to the conclusion of the school day (Monday & Wednesday 3.15pm, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 3.05pm)** – ‘Off and Away All Day’. The policy supports staff and students to reduce the potential for learning distraction; protect the privacy of staff and students; improve health and wellbeing; and reduce the chance of students bringing external issues to school through technology.
Students are permitted to be in possession of their mobile phone during the school day, however, mobile phones must be turned off and neither seen nor heard. Please note that the security of these items is the student’s responsibility. The school takes no responsibility for the recovery of these items should they be lost, damaged or stolen.
Students may be granted an exemption for the following uses of mobile phones:
- to monitor a health condition as part of a school approved documented health care plan; or
- for a particular educational purpose under the direct instruction of a teacher; or
- with permission of a teacher for a specified purpose.
Students are required to put their smart watches in ‘airplane mode’ so phone calls and messages cannot be sent or received during the school day.
All communication between parents and student, during school hours, should occur via Student Central on 9235 1740.
Students who have their mobile phone out or visible during the school day will be given one warning to switch off and put away. Students who do not comply with this request will have their device confiscated for the remainder of the school day.
** From time to time a student may have an after school class whereby the students will need to abide by this policy.
The consequences for breaches of this policy include:
- initial warning recorded in SEQTA;
- temporary confiscation of the mobile phone for student to collect from the relevant Associate Principal at the end of the school day (school administration closes at 4pm);
- repeated breaches of the policy will result in a Loss of Good Standing.
The inappropriate use of mobile phones will be managed under the Learning Technologies Policy.
Last update: 13 December 2019