The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award
Rossmoyne Senior High School has a strong focus on developing teaching, learning and leadership. The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award is a high regarded mechanism for creating ‘future ready citizens’ by developing in our students the confidence, teamwork, communication and perseverance that will afford them the best possible start in their life.
The Award is a leading structured youth development program, empowering all young Australians between age 14 to 25 to explore their full potential regardless of their location or circumstance. It is a fully inclusive program and has no social, political, or religious affiliations. Students are able to use both extracurricular school activities and club or personal pursuits in the community towards their Award.
Students who take part in the Award choose and complete a skill, improve their physical wellbeing, volunteer in their community and go on an adventure. All Participants are supported by a network of adult Award Leaders, Assessors, Supervisors, and mentors. Students self-manage their Award through an Online Record Book. The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award includes three levels: Bronze, Silver, and Gold, each progressively more challenging. There are four sections to each Award: Physical Recreation, Skill, Service, Adventurous Journey plus a fifth section; Residential Project at Gold Level.
Through this challenging journey of self-discovery, participants:
- achieve an Award recognising individual goal setting and self-improvement through persistence and achievement;
- are equipped and empowered to achieve their personal best and learn to take responsibility for their goals and choices;
- become connected to and actively engaged within their immediate community and make a real difference to society through their positive contributions and involvement;
- learn important life skills such as perseverance and overcoming barriers to success;
- build a comprehensive resume which assists in applications for scholarships, further study and job applications; and
- are accredited as a WACE unit equivalent ‘C’ grade: 1 unit (Bronze), 2 units (Silver) and 4 units (Gold). Students are able to count a maximum of 4 unit equivalents, 2 in Year 11 and 2 in Year 12.
For more information, please refer to https://www.awardswa.org.au/
Rossmoyne Senior High School Award Coordinator
T: 9259 2173